top of page

About Us

Who We Are

As an all-volunteer race committee running a nonprofit race, community engagement and reciprocity is important to us and our mission of “putting on a quality race that promotes the Alger Heights neighborhood, its businesses and the health of its people.”


What We Do

The AH5K provides a family-friendly, fun activity that has spawned 5K training programs at Alger Middle School, The Salvation Army Kroc Center and New Hope Baptist Church. In 2012, FitKids360 joined us with a group of children and their mentors to make our 5K the first 5K some of them ever participated in!


Who We Serve

Approximately 52 percent of our participants come from the city of Grand Rapids, and the majority of the other 48 percent come from the surrounding communities of Byron Center, Kentwood, Wyoming, Jenison, Rockford, and Grandville, with a few coming from Ohio and Illinois.


Where We Give

The AH5K team shares all after-cost race proceeds with community charity partners. In the past, we have donated proceeds to our umbrella organization, the Alger Heights Neighborhood Association; the Salvation Army Kroc Center; FitKids360; and Kids’ Food Basket, My Team Triumph. Over the past four years, this amounts to over $15,500 donated.

bottom of page